Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Spring Adventures

July is coming much faster than I anticipated!

March marked the beginning of my Continuing Ed night class at MCAD (Minneapolis College of Art and Design), which meant weekly trips to Mpls and lots of newfound knowledge on photoshop. Also, a wonderful Spring Break 2009 with friends Emma and Amy at Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center in Finland, MN. We were hoping to do some hiking, but instead were welcomed with no electricity, no running water, and no viable mode of traveling faster than a snail's pace. Two inches of ice covered everything and caused trees to crash down around us. We deemed it the apocalypse.

Wolf Ridge with Amy and Emma.


Evidence of the ice storm apocalypse.


April was brought in joyfully with my first REI scratch and dent sale! I met up with friends and we camped outside the Bloomington REI in below freezing weather in order be some of the first in line for the event. A week later, my mother and I took off on our cross-country trip. First, we drove to Coaldale, Colorado to visit Aunt Janet and Uncle Scott. Then, we flew to San Francisco to catch up with cousins Robyn and Rachel.

Fresh-fallen snow in Coaldale with Janet and Scott.


Sunny day in Coaldale.


Enjoying the sun and ocean in San Francisco.


Muir Woods with Robyn and Rachel.



May started off with a bang with the 6th Annual Creative Drive. The Drive was begun by my dad and friends 6 years ago and now has bloomed into an event with 45 artists. This year, Al and I teamed up and sold handmade packs and bags, including backpacks, messenger bags, totes, and laptop sleeves made out of heavy-duty nylon. After recovering from hosting artists and visitors at our house, I headed to Marshall to hang out with the nieces for a few days. Then, I flew East to visit friends in NJ and NYC. First, a week with camp friend Laura at Princeton. Then, a long weekend with college friend Sarah in Brooklyn.

The workshop set up for the Creative Drive.


Al and my Creative Drive display.


Laptop Cases.


Handmade Backpacks.


Grace and Edie gardening.


Grace and I enjoying the best part of the playground...some sort of merry-go-round meets monkey bars with lots of centrifugal force.


Laura and I enjoying the sun at Prince William State Park in Virginia.



Sarah and I showing Ole spirit during the Syttende Mai parade in Brooklyn. Hipp Hipp Hurra!


Now, I'm packing up to head north again! I'll be up at Wilderness Canoe Base to help with staff training (and maybe even go on one last canoe trip before heading to India!).

No comments: