Thursday, November 27, 2008

stuck in Chiang Mai

To round out my time abroad, I hopped over to Thailand to visit some friends for a week. Well, the week has quickly passed but still I remain in Chiang Mai! As I'm sure most of you know, the land of smiles is going through a period of feisty politics and it has built up to the occupation of both Bangkok airports by political demonstrators. News Report. Bangkok closed on Wednesday (my flights were on Thursday) and will remain closed until Saturday evening at the earliest. It seems like the situation could either dissolve smoothly or escalate quickly. I am incredibly thankful to be in Chiang Mai with friends rather than in an airport or unfamiliar city. And, instead of eating Thanksgiving dinner on a plane (meaning it would have been thai or indian food), I was thankful to share turkey, potatoes, pie, etc with other St. Olaf students.

My plans are to stay in Chiang Mai until the airports re-open. Right now I am guessing that I will not get out until Monday or Tuesday.

No comments: