Sunday, August 12, 2012

Quarter 4

Apologies for my hiatus. Here's an attempt to fill in part of the daunting March-August gap. Starting with the final quarter of the academic year, which flew by...


Unofficially celebrated my birthday with a "monochromatic" party.

A colorful showing by the women.

Hmmm...the same is not true for the men.


Officially celebrated with Elsa. My birthday fell on Quarter Break, so Elsa and I walked down to Rajpur (near Dehradun, a 3 hour walk descending about 5,000 feet). From there, the plan was to catch a bus to Rishikesh, but upon arrival we found out there was a city-wide transportation strike. No buses, no taxis, no rickshaws. Hmmm...options seemed to be walk to Dehradun in the heat and find a hotel room or walk back up the mountain, which would be significantly longer and hotter. Or....hitchhike. Within 5 minutes, Elsa flagged a car and we got a ride all the way to Rishikesh! Not bad.

Woke up to the first iris blooming in our
 yard - Happy Birthday to me!

Elsa surprised me with a cake :)

And we ate it in the middle of the path!

Enchanting Rishikesh



A highlight of the spring was joining staff band! I hadn't played a saxophone in probably 8 years, but proved to be one of the "most recent practicers" in the group. Some people hadn't picked up their instrument in 20+ years! We performed at the staff talent show - the kids were impressed.

Tearin' up the sax section.
Photo Cred: Marney


Evidence of the most horrifying/exhilarating monkey experience of my life. A monkey in my bedroom!

He stole a banana from our kitchen and ran upstairs to
eat it in my bedroom. I unwittingly stepped on this...gross.


Eight months after initially announcing the Activity Week photography competition (which after great success last year, I organized again), the show opened. It looked great. I was glad to be done with it.






April and May are particularly hectic due to AP exams. I had been team-teaching AP Studio Art, but my colleague got struck with typhoid the week before our deadline so I guided 16 students solo through the final submission stages. It was exhausting and chaotic! The portfolios are on the art blog.

Final touches on the portfolios.



Graduation was a very busy week. Unfortunately, I didn't click a single photo.






A highlight of the final weeks was organizing a day to hang out with Kate before she moved back to the U.S. We "Kate-napped" her and had an incredibly fun day adventuring in the bazaar - horseback riding, rollerskating, ferris-wheeling, bb-gun shooting, dressing up in local costumes, and eating. I'm hoping to post more photos once I get my hands on them...

Kate was in for many surprises!
Photo Cred: Sachi

Rollerskating is fun!
Photo Cred: Sachi



Kate received a second farewell with a larger group of friends. We headed up to Flaghill for a campout. It was beautiful.

Bonfire
Photo Cred: Zach

The whole crew.
Photo Cred: Sachi

Flaghill campsite.
Photo Cred: Zach

1 comment:

Bill Kinzie said...

Glad to see you back and blogging! Just to let you know we're still following your activities and adventures.