Friday, April 6, 2012

Adventure Book

During my winter travels, I worked consistently on what I came to call my "Adventure Book." I picked up this great book a few years ago when Woodstock was discarding out-dated library books. I love so much about it - the title, the cover, the feel of the pages, the illustrations, the ridiculousness of its tales, etc. You may have heard of it, if you've read other books by Collinson, including the ever popular Cannibals and Coconuts or perhaps the tear-jerker Life and Laughter 'Midst the Cannibals.  I can only imagine how phenomenal those illustrations are. Anyways, I've had many ideas of what to do with it over the years, but finally made a move and dedicated it as a visual journal for six-weeks of traveling Nepal and India. 

Thoroughly beaten up by being dragged to mountains, beaches, grimy bus stations, historic sites, and many trains, it no doubt has many tales to tell. In total, I have more than 60 page-spreads complete. Materials were limited to a small bag of pens, a black stabilo pencil, a conte pencil, a japanese calligraphy pen, and some paintbrushes. All "painting" was done with black tea or coffee. Here is a sampling of some of my favorites.























1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this!!